Meet the Oobr!
with the Clek Oobr Booster Seat and she's thrilled to share her thoughts
with you! Let's read what Jennifer has to say about the Oobr,
and see if it could be the right booster for your child!
"Been waiting on this, have you?” he asked with a smile.
"YES!” was my over-exuberant reply.
Any true car seat nerd knows the joy I've just described. To open that box and touch that brand spanking new seat is something akin to a cool breeze on a hot summer day. It's almost like an adventure into uncharted territory. For me personally, this will probably be the last car seat I'm ever going to need. Not just because the seat has a crazy long life span, but mostly because my 'baby' is six years old. Oh sure, we'll still use it for another three to four years, but it's just somehow… different. She's a bigger kid, and she may not even need the back on the seat for too much longer. Anyway, I digress…
This is a very nice, very well designed seat. It's not as boxy as I imagined it to be. The lines are clean, and there's a very modern look to the seat, with or without the back. The seat is rather heavy for a booster seat, though. In high back mode, it weighs in at 20 pounds, sans cup holder.
(As techs, we usually recommend very mild dish soap like Dove or Ivory. I would personally
use a watered down solution of one of those soaps in this case.)
Installing the seat
The seat has built in Rigid LATCH. Not too common on a booster seat, but a very welcome addition to the booster seat arena. (As an aside, if your booster seat doesn't have LATCH, make sure to buckle the seat into the car even if it has no passenger. A loose seat can become a projectile in a crash.)
A side note about the LATCH system on this seat: the typical LATCH weight limits do not apply. You can use it for the full weight range of the seat, as it is not bearing a load like a convertible, combination, or infant seat does.
The LATCH is there just to keep the seat in place so you don't have to buckle it in when it's not occupied.
and the vehicle's seat cannot be reclined.
At six years old, Emma tested out the Oobr in high back mode.
She is 45lbs and 47 inches tall, and it provided a beautiful belt fit!
While Patrick seems less enthusiastic about having his
picture taken than his sister did, he still achieved a safe seat belt fit when he tried the Oobr
in backless mode.
He is nine years old, weighs 67lbs and is 56 inches tall.
- Easy to assemble
- Adjustable headrest extension with steel bars (It adjusts just like your vehicle’s headrests!)
- Removable seat back when you're ready to go backless
- Removable, dishwasher-safe cup holder 'drink thingy™'
- Crypton® Super Fabric resists stains and is easy to spot clean
- Reclining seat back with up to 12 degrees of recline
- Side impact head protection (when used as a high back booster)
- Easy to install; narrow for fitting 3 across
- Rigid LATCH system
- Magnesium frame in the backrest, surrounded by energy absorbing foam
- 9 year lifespan
- 100% recyclable through Clek's recycle program
- Quite heavy for a booster, weighing in at 20 pounds in high back mode (Weighs 10lbs in backless mode)
- At almost $300 for the solid colors, and about $30 more for the adorable Paul Frank patterns, it could be cost-prohibitive for someone on a tight budget
- Not a "grab and go" seat when moving between cars in high back mode
- Seating area may not be deep enough for kids with long legs
- Backrest cover cannot be removed
- Oobr's box is 18 1/4" x 13 1/4" x 27"
- Seating pad is 13 1/2" wide at the front (where the knees bend), 11" wide at the back end, and 12" deep (front to back). The 'drink thingy™' adds 6 inches to the width when in use.
- Backrest is 22 1/2" tall with the headrest all the way down and 29 1/2" with the headrest fully extended
- Space between backrest and headrest, with the headrest fully extended, is 7"
Oobr Specifications In High Back Mode:
38-57 inches tall
Ages 4 and up
Oobr Specifications in Backless Mode:
40-57 inches tall
Ages 4 and up
cost effective as other seats. Other than that, it's a gorgeous seat with
a clean, modern look and great features.
Are you intrigued by the Oobr?
in your choice of color, directly from Clek?!
(Note: The 'drink thingy™' is not included with the Drift model, but can be purchased separately.)
earn an entry claiming to "Follow" us on Twitter if you do not.) We will confirm
any claimed entry before announcing a winner. Discovery of these false
claims will forfeit your valid entries.
are excluded from entering new giveaways for 6 months.